Friday, February 18, 2011

Words Cannot Express... Or Maybe They Can...




"You are not perfection
but you are beautifully flawed
To the women who carry more weight than the average
understand, that this is only to cushion the blows of truth wrapped in gut feelings.
To the laps, tummies and chest of big momma syndrome,
That children rest their heads on and make them feel at home,
Look at it as being built as a mansion, instead of a house
You are more comfortable to live in." - From 'Beautifully Human' by Simply Kat

I had the opportunity to go to Pace University this past weekend and partake in the watching of some free comedy, spoken word, rapping, and music. The powerful words I quoted at the beginning were spoken by the beautiful young lady pictured above And I have to say I was quite awestricken by her passion and conviction. That young woman, Simply Kat (as she is so eloquently called), performed several of her pieces for the audience. It felt like I fell in love with poetry all over again because of her. I had gone through a stint where poetry/spoken word just didn't hit me like it use to. Sometimes people are just too cheesy or hipster or wannabe deep and their isn't any real passion in what they are writing (or saying) and it shows. Not Kat. Each poem from her really brought me back to memories of how spoken word is suppose to make you feel. I am indebted to her for that much. Her poems 'Purple', 'Beautifully Human' and 'Love for Nemo' (each which she performed at the show) were wonderful. Each poem had a message that hit home for me. Purple, my favorite of the three, was a much needed reminder to me of how important it is to follow your dreams and live your life for no one but yourself and the ones you love. I was so moved that I felt the need to support and had the chance to purchase her book of spoken word entitled 'Human'. I sat and read the entire thing on the long ride home back to NJ and I loved every bit of it. She is an awesome poet and a great person (she's pretty cute too :-) and I just had to let all of our readers know that there are those who are passionate and skilled, at what they do, out there and it must be commended. That's all I got for now ENJOI!

to contact Kat:
Kattmagill@gmail.com
Http://www.myspace.com/listen/love/live

Stay RURF
Sdot

No comments:

Post a Comment