Sunday, February 28, 2010

Paved the Path: ....Simply Put... Visionary

"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark." - Muhammad Ali

It is the last day of Black History Month and I felt like I'd be a slight failure to my race and disrespectful if I didn't do a post on one of the most influential African Americans in terms of sports, civil rights and religion. One of Visions' (as a whole) heroes and an athletic icon Cassius Marcellus Clay Jr. or as the world knows him Muhammad Ali. He is arguably (and in my opinion) one of the greatest pound for pound boxer of all time. He boxed not only against his opponents but against the nay-sayers and oppression. He became a professional boxer in a time when the United States was deeply segregated and was deeply rooted in racism. He dropped any opponent that came his way. Beating boxing greats Sonny Liston, Joe Frazier and George Foreman. He finished his career with a record of 56-5 including 37 knockouts and won the championship title 3 times. He was also a fighter for human and civil rights. He was a member of the nation of Islam and shouldered the struggle of the Honorable Elijah Muhammad and El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz (better known as Malcolm X). Fighting for African American rights and freedoms as a people. Using his fame and pull to help push the movement forward. He is one of my heroes and people I have looked to for inspiration for my every day life. His audacity, bravado, dedication and drive to be the best was almost unmatched. That same drive is what Visions (and all people) strive and should strive to emulate. I don't want to say too much more becuase I feel like I would go on for

Ali Interview Pt. 1


Ali Interview Pt. 2


"Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn't matter which color does the hating. It's just plain wrong."


 - Muhammad Ali

Stay RURF
Sdot

No comments:

Post a Comment