Friday, March 11, 2016

Album Review: Untitled Unmastered - Kendrick Lamar



So the Hip Hop Gods (and apparently Lebron James) shined upon us (and gave me something to blog about this week) with the release of Kendrick Lamar's surprise EP, Untitled Unmastered. The tracks are all just that. None of the tracks have names but they are timestamped to give us an indication for when they were recorded. I go into my review which I give my thoughts on Kendrick's new album. What I also do is give my vision of what this album would have been called and the track names had Kendrick decided to go that route. This is all my opinion and speculation. Check it out below! 

Kendrick Lamar - Untitled Unmastered (or [The] Gemini)
  1. Untitled 01 | 08.19.2014 (or The Gemini/Young Nigga) - A great starter to Kendrick's surprise EP. He starts us off with a pimpish sounding gentleman that lulls us a little right before the drop of the beat as he jumps in head first lyrically. Reminiscent of something straight out of the mid 90s gritty MC era this tracks sets the tone for what turns out to be a low key and consistent EP.⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (4 Stars)
  2. Untitled 02 | 06.23.2014 (or On the Phone) - My favorite track on the album. This head knocking beat and Choral track was focused more on sending a message and less on being too lyrical. It is also alleged to be a drake and Jay electronica diss. Great track nonetheless!  ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️1/2 (4.25 Stars)
  3. Untitled 03 | 05.28.2013 (or Spoken World/What the People Say) - This imagery/story driven track that we've come to  know Kendrick for delivers on beat, message and lyrics. Soulful melodies and slick lyrics makes this an easy listen ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (4 Stars)
  4. Untitled 04 | 08.14.2014 (or Head is the answer/What's the Answer? Interlude) - I had to laugh at this one the first couple of times I heard it. I had to make sure I was hearing it correctly. I also had to decide if it was an actual track or just an interlude. Since Kendrick doesn't spit on it and leaves the message "head is the answer" as the focus, I chose to  count it as an interlude. (Meets Standards)
  5. Untitled 05 | 09.21.2014 (or Means the World) - A Jazz infused beat that I felt epitomized the section 80/Overly Dedicated Kendrick. The background horns make for a well placed clash to the gritty lyrics from Mr. Lamar.  ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (4 Stars)
  6. Untitled 06 | 06.30.2014 (or Explain ft. Cee Lo Green) - My second favorite track (not just because it features Cee Lo Green). This track is more lighthearted and something for the ladies. Smooth and melodic is the best way to describe this one. Definitely a song that keeps your head moving and your foot tapping. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️1/4 (4.25 Stars)
  7. Untitled 07 | 2014-2016 (or High as This/This that Shit/Levitate/Head is the answer [in the studio]) - Solid tracks. This extended joint gives a listen to a few tracks which include a raw version of the interlude "Head is the answer" (my name for it) or Untitled 4 as you may know it. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (4 Stars)
  8. Untitled 08 | 09.06.2014 (or Blue Faces/The Blues) - A quality end to a strong showing from Kendrick. This funk inspired track addresses the tough times that some of us may go through. Funky beat, catchy flow and soothing background vocals help to leave us satisfied with the end of this gem that Kendrick blessed us with. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (4 Stars)

Overall rating: 4/5
Overall a really good showing for Kendrick. Any of these tracks could have easily made To Pimp A Butterfly and still made it pop. No song sticks out so vividly that it changes my life (which is often a possibility when listening to Kendrick) but there were tracks I'd add to my rotation or bump in passing. Definitely something that will get some play In the next month or few weeks and a nice primer to hold us over until the next major Kendrick Lamar release. You can stream the EP via Spotify (Free) or Tidal (30 free trial/$9.99/mo after).


Be Exceptional! Live Life!
Sidanii
Editor and Contributing blogger,
Instagram: @Sdotbell - @Solereligionsid
Snapchat: @ColdestWinter

No comments:

Post a Comment