Sunday, March 27, 2016

Spotlight: Phife Dawg's 5 Best Rhymes



We lost a Hip Hop legend on March 22, 2016. Malik Izaak Taylor passed away at the age of 45. It hurts because A Tribe Called Quest is legitimately the reason why Visions of Quest even exist. I was truly heart broken to hear the news. Nonetheless, in true Tribe fashion I'm going to keep the focus on Phife's (Beats), Rhymes and Life.  A tenacious MC originally from Trinidad (Which is where my family is from also), who consistently shined when ever he graced a verse. Phife Dawg was lyrically masterful in his own right as the figurative "underdog" of A Tribe Called Quest. He more often than not would outshine the groups leader, Q-tip, with his witty word play and smooth flows. Today's post is a dedication to his style, skill and artistry as a member of the legendary A Tribe Called Quest.

So many sites and magazines have been paying their respect by playing some classics from Tribe and making their usual list. Billboard did a tribute of Phife's top 5 lines and I felt like I should do a list of favorite lines from the 5-foot assassins myself, as theirs left a little bit to be desired. So I had to go into the archives and find some of Phife's best/most influential lines! Tell me what you think of my top 5! Here's Billboards' Top 5 lines



5. Oh My God
"One for the Treble, two for the base, you know the style Tip it's time to flip this, I like my beats hard like two day old shits, stay eating like booty MCs like Cheese Grits"




4. Buggin' Out
"Microphone Check one two what is this, the five foot assassin with the roughneck business, I float like gravity, I never had a cavity, got more rhymes then the Winans got family." (Fast foward to about 3:36 to get to Buggin out)



3. Electric Relaxation (Basically all his verses from this song but this rhyme scheme in particular)
"I like them brown, yellow, Puerto Rican or Haitian, my name is Phife Dawg from the Zulu nation. I told you in the jam that we could get down, now let's knock the boots like the group H town. You got BBD up on your bedroom wall, but I'm above the rim and this is how I'll ball." 





2. Award Tour
"Comin with more hits than the Braves and the Yankees, Livin mad phat like an over sized Bam-bi, The wackest crews try to dis, it makes me laugh, When my track record's longer than a DC-20 aircraft,
So, next time that you think you want somethin here, Make somethin deffer, take that garbage to St. Elsewhere!"




1. Scenario (AGAIN THIS ENTIRE VERSE IS AMAZING)
"Ay yo Bo knows this, and Bo knows that, but Bo don't know jack cuz Bo can't rap, WHADDAYAKNOW THE di-Dawg is first up to bat bat, no batteries included and no strings attached.... But here's the real scoop, I'm all that and then some, short, dark and handsome, bust a nut inside your eye to show you where I come (cum) from"



Be Exceptional, Live Life
Sidanii
Contributing Blogger
Twitter: @Sdot_bell - @Solereligionsid
Instagram: @Sdotbell - @Solereligionsid
Snapchat: @Coldestwinter

No comments:

Post a Comment