Sunday, March 14, 2010

LIl Wayne Vs. Weezy

"Dwayne Carter Inmate No. ...."

As many of us have heard Dwayne Michael Carter Jr (or Lil' Wayne to all his fans) was sent to jail this month for a gun charge conviction. I'm not one to be big on posting about the larger artist (I like to leave that to the other 6 million blogs that do it) but I felt that I should do a post not on him going to jail, or that he won't even be missed with the features and work he put in before he left, but on his decline as a lyricist and supersaturation. Lil Wayne has come up and taken the Hip Hop game by storm. He resurrected his career and has become one of the (if not the) hottest artist in the music (let alone Hip hop) game. He has been featured on songs with people from Madonna to Jay-z, from Keri Hilson to Eminem and the general public has accepted his hotness as law. Yet there is a divide, or dilemma if you will, on his part.  In my opinion Weezy hasn't been the same artist since about early 2007. Now many would argue that I am out of my mind and has gotten better. I would beg to differ. I would say that he has become more widely accepted or in other words hotter and attained dare I say "God MC" status. Let em quickly define that for you... when someone has God MC status they are virtually invulnerable to scrutiny, anything they release will sell and be a hit and there impact on style and culture is too vast to encompass. If you look at all the the guys that are tatted up from head to toe or have dreads you can understand what I mean. Lil Wayne had progressively sold more albums each time just off of merit. Tha Carter III sold 3,000,000 records world wide which is almost unheard of in this digital/internet pirating era. Yet my problem is with the quality of  his music. I would ask any Lil Wayne "fan" to listen to anything he released from 2005-2007 and then listen to 2008-2010 and then tell me who is legitimately better. In my mind I would say the latter. Tha Carter II, Dedication, Dedication 2, and the Drought 3 was the pinnacle of Mr. Carter's lyrical and artistic prowess. At that time he was the best rapper alive. Now he has traded that for the tittle of "the hottest rapper alive" which are 2 completely different things Another way he as shown this is with the creation of Young Money entertainment (or syndicate as I call it). With the Addition of Nicki Minaj and Drake, Lil Wayne has set himself up for success even in his absence. Pumping out loads and loads of "hot" music. One thing I would hope is that Jail would help give him that 2006 Wayne edge rather than the "hotness" of the 2009 Wayne. I can say in favor of the newer Wayne is that his mixtape No Ceilings was a bit reminiscent of the Wayne that the true hip hop heads could rock with. So for now we will deal with the plethora of features that will come our way due to Wayne's literal absence. He is gone physically but his presence in the game will probably be as strong as ever. Well I'm done with my rant for now. Don't think of me as downing any of Lil Wayne's accomplishment. I was a fan(emphasis on was). My Itunes library is stacked with Wayne (I was even one of the 3,000,000 who bout Tha Cater III). Its just that I am not one that will easily just accept what I am given and I can't particularly accept the new hot wayne. In other words I love hip hop so I got to send an SOS for its sons and lost souls. ENJOI!


SB: Figured I'd let you tell it which intro was better [not hotter better] (What a difference 2 years can make)


Tha Mobb (Tha Carter II)


3peat (Tha Carter III)


Stay RURF
Sdot

No comments:

Post a Comment